Thursday, June 19, 2008

Jerry Manuel Might Be Insane

New York Mets interim manager Jerry Manuel wasted no time showing his players who's boss.  One batter into his first game, he was forced to remove Jose Reyes because of a tight hamstring.  When Reyes tried to stay in the game, Manuel did what any rational human being would do -- threaten to stab Reyes:

"I told him next time he does that I'm going to get my blade out and cut him.  I'm a gangster. You go gangster on me, I'm going to have to get you.  You do that again, I'm going to cut you right on the field," said Manuel.

Jeeeeesus.  Four minutes into the game and he's threatening to murder his superstar. It's too bad Manny Ramirez is not on the Mets.  Who wouldn't want to see Manuel react when Manny cuts off a throw from his own center fielder, interrupts the game to urinate in the green monster, or high fives an opposing fan in the middle of a play?  

If Jose Reyes is going to get stabbed next time he doesn't want to come out of the game, will Billy Wagner be summarily executed after his next blown save?  This guy is great.  Major League Baseball needs more Jerry Manuels, and so does every other sport.