Friday, April 21, 2006

Mystified Eddie Guadardo Blows Save, Keeps Job

Seattle closer Eddie Guadardo gave up four ninth-inning bases on balls, including a walk to cleanup hitter Phil Nevin, to lose Thursday's home game against the Rangers, 5-4. It was Guadardo's second blown save in four days. However, Guadardo, 35, won a vote of confidence from manager Mike Hargrove, who declared after the game: "Eddie Guadardo is our closer. He will remain our closer." Hargrove said pitchers generally can be expected to have occasional bad games, and Thursday's was one of Guadardo's. Guadardo, who suffers from a torn rotator cuff, claimed he felt fine physically. Guadardo said: "I can't tell you want happened. I wish I had an explanation. I just could not find the damn plate...I don't know what to tell you. I've got to do something though. I've got to get (myself) right."