Friday, February 13, 2009

Cards Updates: Glaus, 2B

An AP spring training preview for the Cardinals includes some tidbits:

  • 3B Troy Glaus is not expected to be ready for Opening Day. A return in May is more likely.

  • After the release of 2B Adam Kennedy, outfielder Skip Schumaker has been mentioned as a leading candidate to take over the second sack position. But Schumaker hasn't played the infield in years. He is now, however, taking ground balls in Florida. But he doesn't sound too optimistic about the experiment: "There's a reason why I'm in the outfield, I think. Obviously, if Tony wants to throw me in that fire I’ll try it, but I don’t know how realistic that is."

  • The team has considered using onetime ace Chris Carpenter in the bullpen as Carpenter attempts a comeback from another surgery. Kyle McClellan, a middle reliever as a rookie in 2008, could step into the rotation if Carpenter begins the season in relief.